Gateshead Mental Health User Voice Service
Do you want to influence the development of mental health services? Are the services you use meeting your needs? Have you got any suggestions or ideas you think may help? Gateshead Mental Health User Voice Service can help you with all of these things. You may want to attend meetings that help to change the way mental health service users are treated, or challenge the way a service is run. Alternatively, you may simply want to find out more information on the things that directly affect you, or meet up with other members. MHM’s Gateshead Mental Health User Voice Service exists to promote people’s involvement with mental health services in the Gateshead area, as well as overall positive wellbeing.
We aim to make a difference by:
- Asking Service Users what they think of their treatment and care to try to improve the services they receive.
- Challenging prejudice and stigma, reducing isolation and enabling service users to feel increased confidence.
- Helping Service users be a part of groups and attend meetings that have an impact on decisions that directly affect the future of Mental Health Services.
- Offering Service Users opportunities to be involved in the recruitment and selection of mental health staff.
- Enabling Service Users to work together to make their collective voice heard by both professionals and politicians.
- Consulting on local, regional and national strategy, policy and provision of Mental Health Services.
At each meeting we have a guest speaker, who may give a brief talk on a topic related to what’s happening in mental health locally or nationally, or introducing members to a local mental health organisation. For example, one recent meeting explored changes to benefits including Universal Credit and what they would mean for service users, with a guest speaker who was a welfare rights advisor for Disability North. Meetings also provide updates on what’s happening in mental health locally, regional and nationally – for example, updates on the Deciding Together consultation on changes to local mental health services in Gateshead and Newcastle. The meetings are a space for people to raise any issues or concerns they have around mental health provision and policy.
Meetings are held on the third Thursday of each month, from 2pm to 4pm at Gateshead Clubhouse, Worcester Green, Gateshead, NE8 1NH.
Call us on 0191 4777 381 or email mloraine @mhm.org.uk or clynch @mhm.org.uk for further information.
Where are we?
Click the link below to read about how MHM’s User Voice services have helped people: